Friday, April 13, 2012

I Feel the Need to Embellish!

I love to create things that embellish the moment and make it more memorable. To me, nothing is more satisfying than to have that special something recall a cherished time in your life. Whether it is something simple, like a themed napkin or more elaborate like coordinated favors, table arrangements, arbors and menus, if it serves to make the person or moment special, it's worth the effort! 
From working on my prom decorating committees, creating centerpieces for rooms: 

Junior Prom - "Enchanted Carousel" - I designed and constructed this:

Senior Prom: "On the Eve of a Pineapple Sundae" - I designed and constructed the   room-sized pineapple:

To making hand decorated umbrellas for wedding showers, themed favors, table numbers, centerpieces and other items that I was unable to find in stores. I loved the challenge of making what I couldn't find, using the event to determine the colors and themes!

Here are some of the things I made for my son's wedding last June where the attendants wore purple and carried blue hydrangeas for the ceremony on an Outer Banks, NC beach:
 




All of these things (and more) were an integral part of my life's moments to be remembered. Their construction was instrumental in the way I coped with the emotions inherent in the events. The creations were a part of the fun and they helped me to be totally immersed in the experience. I hope that they enhanced the experience for everyone in attendance too. I have to mention that, often there were smiles of surprise, which were my greatest reward. I find that most of the time, it's the little things that count just like that special embellishment, placed just so, made the difference!

Now, in retirement, I'm looking to expand my creativity and share what I learn along the way. I would love to have my blog serve as a sounding board for techniques (new and old,) experiences (good and bad) with products and tools of the trade as well as a showcase for my work. Tomorrow I hope to share some of my favorite scrapbooking layouts, albums and one of my most recent endeavors with ribbons. I can't wait to share them with you all. Have a sparkling day!


No comments:

Post a Comment